Pages

Friday, April 3, 2015

Freewrite Friday

I’ve noticed that I am drawn to classrooms that start each class period in a predictable manner so that students know what to expect when they walk into class.

Throughout my time in the education system, I have seen a variety of ways in which this can be done, and I have developed different “theme days” that I think could work well in my future classroom. Below are my ideas:

                     Movie Quote Monday
I got this idea from my coordinating teacher last semester. I liked this because it often got students talking, and I think that there are quite a few writing activities that could be created from different movie quotes.

Tasteful Joke Tuesday
This was something that my 7th grade math teacher often did. It was a different way to start class, and I remember it broke up the monotony of the school day.

Wildcard Wednesday
Having a day built in as a “wildcard” I think could be useful in my future classroom because it will give me the opportunity to fit something in if needed.

Thoughtful Quote Thursday
This is a potential photo I could show my students and
ask them to write about.  (Photo I pulled over to take
while driving to my field placement this semester)
Similar to Movie Quote Monday, for Thursday’s, I will put up a quote on the board (from a historical figure, an author, an influential individual, etc.) and if there is time in my lesson, I will have students write about the quote.

Freewrite Friday
On Friday’s, I will give students the option of answering a few different writing prompts in their writer’s notebooks. These prompts will either be questions, or even photos, to get students thinking. This will give students a chance to gather their thoughts before class starts, and focus their attention on English class.


For each of the above ideas, I will do my best to make them fit in with the theme/topic of the day so that my lessons all tie together, but I also like these ideas because it lets students have fun with the learning process.

No comments :

Post a Comment