Pages

Friday, April 10, 2015

Key Assessments, Case Studies, and Creativity, Oh My!

Now that there’s only approximately a month left in the school year, my professors are assigning final papers and projects.

"It is the supreme art of the teacher to
awaken joy in creative expression
and knowledge."
-Albert Einstein
In almost all of my education classes at Miami, my classmates and I have had to complete several different key assessments. These assignments typically have longer rubrics and when we complete them, we upload them to an online portfolio for our professors to review and grade them.


This past week, I just completed a Learning Segment Assignment which is one of the key assessments in my EDT 428 class. For this assignment, I had to create 3-5 lessons in sequential order that centered on an essential question and provided students with opportunities to engage with a complex text.


I decided to create 5 lesson plans and I decided that I wanted my students to complete a “This I Believe” speech as this learning segment is the start of a new unit on public speaking. I used a variety of texts to show my students what makes an effective public speaker, but the complex text that my lesson focused on is Martin Luther King, Jr.’s “I Have a Dream” speech.

For my ENG 304 class, I am currently working on a case study in which I need to explore how writing has played a part in the development of an individual. In order to complete my case study, I have to interview my participant, collect and analyze a variety of texts that my participant has written, and then I also need to directly observe and record my participant while they are writing.

I decided to use one of my friends in my cohort as my participant, and I’m interested to see what I will learn about her writing process and how writing plays a role in her life.

Beyond this, I have received my assignments for final papers and projects, and I am looking forward to a few of them.

Most notably, I am looking forward to my final paper for my linguistics class because I had the opportunity to pick any topic (as long as I could relate it to linguistics) and I have decided to write about the morphology of terms that Shakespeare coined.


In my EDT 423 class (Young Adult Literature), I have to create some sort of video/animation/anything that can play on its own, as long as it’s not a book trailer, about one or more young adult books that I have read this semester. This project will be challenging, but I am looking forward to the creative aspect…

No comments :

Post a Comment