Pages

Friday, January 9, 2015

On Campus Organizations

On Miami’s campus, there are over 400 student organizations, which is a lot to choose from. Currently, I’m involved in three main organizations: the Miami Student Education Association (MSEA), National Council of Teachers of English – Student Affiliate of Miami (NCTE-SAM), and Global Buddies.

Through MSEA, I am also involved in another organization called the Intergenerational Mentoring Program. Through this program, I am paired with a retired teacher who serves as a mentor and is another source I can turn to when I am having trouble with my field experience, and next year, with student teaching.

MSEA provides a space for Miami students to discuss the current issues surrounding education and ways to overcome them. Furthermore, every year, MSEA has a teacher panel meeting, where students from Miami can have their questions about what it’s like to be a teacher answered by teachers with varying levels of experience. Since I joined MSEA, this has always been my favorite meeting.
Photo of my Global Buddy and I.

For NCTE-SAM, I am currently on the executive board, and I hold the role of Vice President of Operations. What this means, is that I am in charge of taking minutes for each of our meetings, and I document our events.

Before finals week, we had a poetry and potluck night which was our first event outside of meetings, which we hold once a month. We center each of our meetings on a different topic that specifically deals with teaching English, and before winter break, we started a book club so we can read and talk about books that we could potentially teach one day.

Through Global Buddies, I was paired with an international student who was studying at Miami during the fall semester. Over the course of the semester, I would meet with this student and we would eat dinner together, go to on campus events, and sometimes, we would study together.

I learned so much from this student, and I look forward to being involved in this program again this coming semester.

No comments :

Post a Comment