Pages

Friday, December 26, 2014

Multigenre Paper + Creativity

In October, I wrote a post that I titled “The Genre of Multigenre.” When I wrote this piece, I had not yet written my multigenre paper, my professor had only introduced it to us as one of our final papers/projects.

Now, however, that I’ve written my own, I wanted to share a little bit of what I wrote.

I titled my entire paper “Finding an Artistic Voice in a School against the Creative” and I focused on how oftentimes, creativity is removed from schools in favor of more tangible instruction.

To create my paper, I tapped into twelve different genres, a few of the ones I used, are an extended narrative, I wrote about a dream, dialogue with a student during my field experience, notes from my field experience, I made up tweets from my academic allies, I wrote an exaggerated/satirical newspaper article, I even wrote a haiku about creativity, among other genres. However, my personal favorite was the recipe I wrote for creativity.

Screenshot I took of the recipe I wrote for creativity.
Before I began writing my paper, I was worried I wouldn’t have enough variety in my genres. But as I started writing, I couldn’t stop the ideas from flowing, and I even had to create a list of the genres I was thinking of. That’s when I realized what drives my creativity, and it made me think about how I could get my future students to tap into their creativity.

Furthermore, as I wrote my paper, it made me think about how I would incorporate it into my future classroom.

First off, I would definitely allow my students to pick their topic so that it could be about something that interests them and it would make it relevant to their lives.

I also thought about the idea of having multiple students work on one paper. This would require a group of students to have the same topic, but then each would write about this topic in different genres so that it could be compiled at the end.

All in all, I really enjoyed writing my multigenre piece, and it is a paper/project that I definitely see myself using in my future classroom. 

No comments :

Post a Comment