Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

So, you Think Being an Education Major is Easy

I’ve noticed something recently.

When people ask me what my major is, they automatically respond with some quip about how I, as an education major, have it so easy.

Now, I’m not saying anything negative about other majors. All I’m saying is that education majors deserve respect for the following reasons…
Photo I took of The Commons in McGuffey
this week. 

We education majors are hard workers. We’re driven and we don’t just slide through our classes. We’re challenged every day to think beyond the obvious and to look underneath the bigger issues.

We’re smart. We study hard and we work to gain a deeper understanding of the material that we, one day, may be teaching.

We’re passionate about the current state of education and the direction in which it is headed.

We want to educate the youth of society, which is one of the most rewarding professions I can imagine. We want to make differences in the lives of children.

We want to change the world. We want to be role models and we want our students to learn.

So why is it that being an education major is thought of as easy and simple? The standards we’re held to are no different than any other major.

As education majors, we go out into the field and learn hands-on. Our course load forces us to be good at time management, and with group projects, we need to be good at balancing everything.

I’m by no means saying that being an education major is more difficult than all other majors. I’m just pointing out why being an education major is not as easy as it may appear to others.

We deserve to be respected too.

Teachers deserve respect. And respecting teachers starts with recognizing their value in society. Without teachers, much of what we all have accomplished would not have been possible. 

No comments :

Post a Comment