Pages

Friday, March 7, 2014

My Peers are Awesome

As some of you may know, a big part of my job is to conduct student interviews with students who are majoring in one of the majors offered through EHS.
Still taken from a video interview of Delphine Koustmer '15.

I record these interviews with a camera, and recently, I started to edit them. Conducting these interviews has given me a different perspective about my peers and it’s interesting to be the interviewer, rather than the interviewee, for a change.

These interviews are informal and they revolve around the experiences of the individual I am interviewing. Once the videos are edited, they’re put on YouTube on the EHS channel, so anyone, from prospective students to current students, can view them.

Miami is full of incredible people, and conducting these interviews has driven this point home. My peers are dedicated to their field and they have enthusiasm for a variety of different activities.

Through conducting the interviews, I’ve learned a lot about campus too. Some of the interviewees are involved in activities I’d never heard of, which is really neat. Miami has a lot to offer in the way of clubs and activities, so while it’s no surprise that I haven’t heard of everything, I’m still amazed by the variety of organizations found on campus. There truly is something for everyone.

Because of these interviews, I’ve also learned more about different majors in EHS that I wasn’t fully aware of. Each major is set up differently, so it’s interesting to learn about the different classes that people need to take and how their program is set up.

But my favorite part of conducting these interviews is being able to get to know my peers better. These interviews allow me to learn where people come from and what led them to choose their major, and what made them decide to come to Miami.

Another interesting aspect is being the interviewer. Aside from my journalism class last semester, I’ve never really interviewed anyone. Usually, I’m the one being interviewed, so for me, it’s really cool to see how the two roles differ.

I have a lot of fun doing these interviews and I can’t wait to continue conducting them so that I can learn even more about my incredible peers, as well as the different majors offered in EHS.

If you’re interested in taking a look at the videos I've edited so far, here’s the link to the playlist, http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLoo6IeUdlwJ0GI6aD-Rh-zJDwD-TGf9-H

2 comments :

  1. Carrie, we appreciate all of the GREAT videos you've produced for us at Miami University's College of Education, Health and Society. You're right, your "peers are awesome" -- and so are you! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete