Pages

Friday, March 4, 2016

70 Days Until Graduation

Photo of me speaking at my high school graduation 4 years
ago. I'm excited to don Miami's red cap and gown in just
a few months.
It just hit me this week that I'm graduating in 70 days.

This means that I have 70 more days to check off the remainder of my senior year bucket list, 70 more days to work on my classes, 70 more days to hang out with my friends in Oxford, and 70 more days to (hopefully) find a job.

It may sound silly that I just now noticed that I will be graduating, but until this week, it didn't feel any different. It felt like a normal semester (albeit, a very busy one), but one that would end in May so I could return to Miami in August, just as I have for the past few years.

But that's not the case this time.

This time, I'll be getting my diploma. I'll be finishing my collegiate career and (hopefully) begin teaching in my own classroom.

I'll admit it: I'm scared.

Not scared in the sense that something feels wrong or off, but scared in the sense that I'm not sure where I'm going to be in just a few months. I'm not sure if I'll be employed. And if I am employed, I'm not sure where I'll be living. There are a lot of unanswered questions swirling around life after graduation.

While it is common for school districts to wait until April (and even beyond) to post job openings, I started my search this week. I've signed up for a mock interview with Career Services on Miami's campus and I've also signed up for a few teacher job fairs. Additionally, I've submitted one application for a position, and over spring break, I hope to submit even more.

I feel somewhat more at ease because of these small, but significant, steps.

I'm looking forward to my future with eager anticipation, but with all the unknowns surfacing, I started to become nervous. I'm excited to start the next phase of my life, but I'm also afraid to leave what is familiar and known.

In 70 days, the real adventure begins.

No comments :

Post a Comment