Pages

Friday, May 1, 2015

Student Choice in Writing

The best part about writing in college is the freedom to pick (almost) any topic. While some professors structure papers more than others, I have found that I generally have a lot more choice in the topics that I choose to write about than I did in high school.

I find this interesting since a lot of my preparation has been about letting students choose what they write about. I had some choice in high school, but usually it was to pick one of three prompts and write a paper answering that prompt.

Oftentimes, I resented this format.

The books I am using to help research the words
that Shakespeare coined throughout
his career.
Still, in college, I often find myself resenting papers that are so structured I have no room for creativity. While I don’t think that in a high school classroom I can just tell students to write about whatever aspect of such-and-such book that they want, I still think that more choice needs to be given within the prompts that are provided to students.

When students have a choice in what they are writing, they’re automatically more invested in their writing because if they chose a topic, it is often because of an interest they have.

Personally, I know that I have some go to topics that I will write about whenever given the opportunity. One of these topics is Shakespeare.

For my final paper in linguistics, I was given the choice to write about anything, so long as I can somehow connect it to linguistics. As a result, I chose to write about Shakespeare and the words that he created in his plays.

While the morphology of Shakespeare’s words don’t excite everyone as much as they excite me, I am looking forward to doing the research for this paper, as well as writing it, because it’s a topic that I’m invested in.

No comments :

Post a Comment