Pages

Friday, April 25, 2014

In Honor of Shakespeare...

On Wednesday, it was Shakespeare’s 450th birthday. In celebration, I began reading The Tempest, which is required reading for one of my classes. In addition, I also decided to do a little bit of research on the Bard.

Through my light research, I realized that there’s a lot we owe to Shakespeare. I came across an article from NPR’s Ask Me Another about some common words and phrases that Shakespeare likely coined.

Photo I took of the books I use in my Shakespeare class.
I never really thought about some of the words Shakespeare uses in his plays, I just read them and deciphered meaning. But after looking at the list provided from NPR, I recognized how many of the words I actually use in my daily life.

For example, Shakespeare coined the word “gloomy” in his play Titus Andronicus. A little more out there, Shakespeare also created the word “bedazzled” in The Taming of the Shrew.

When I read The Taming of the Shrew earlier this semester, I’m surprised this word did not stand out to me more, as I’ve always thought it was coined more recently. However, that being said, the meaning has definitely shifted over the years.

As for phrases that Shakespeare coined, in Othello, he used the phrase “heart on my sleeve,” which is a phrase many people use in their daily lives.

In Macbeth, Shakespeare coined the phrase “Knock, knock! Who’s there?” However, it’s unclear whether or not Shakespeare can be credited with the creation of the classic Knock-Knock joke as a result of this play.

Another phrase we can credit to Shakespeare is, “method in the madness,” which he used in Hamlet. This is another common phrase we still use today.

There are other words and phrases we owe to Shakespeare such as:
            “skim milk” (Henry IV)
            “swagger” (A Midsummer Night’s Dream)
            “one fell swoop” (Macbeth)
            “laughable” (The Merchant of Venice)
            “jaded” (Henry VI)

If you’re interested in seeing more, take a look at the NPR article: http://www.npr.org/2014/04/23/305951480/household-words-shakespeares-enduring-lexicon

No comments :

Post a Comment