Pages

Friday, April 8, 2016

Suit Up: Teacher Job Fair

Resume Copies: Check
Padfolio: Check
Professional-looking Pen: Check
Suit: Check

Teacher Job Fair: Ready.

On Tuesday, Miami hosted a Teacher Job Fair for school districts and schools to come and interview Miami students for potential employment.

In the morning, there was an hour meet-and-greet session in which the candidates (i.e. Miami students) had the opportunity to walk around and talk to potential employers. In these brief meetings, the employer may invite you to sign up for a 20-minute interview that day, or they may say that they are not currently hiring for the position in question.

I was fortunate enough to come out of the meet-and-greet session with seven back-to-back interviews. I chose to knock all of my interviews out in the morning session, which left me no time between meetings, but I ended up enjoying having to hop from interview to interview. Most of the other candidates did not do this, and they spread their interviews out throughout the day.

Since there wasn’t much time, the interviews were screening interviews, and I found that they became easier and easier as the morning went on; moreover, I felt very prepared. I was impeccably nervous walking into Millet that morning, but the more I talked with school districts and schools, the more excited I became about my future as a teacher.

For the job fair, we were not allowed to bring our teaching portfolios, but I was glad that I already created mine, as it helped me gather my thoughts prior to the interviews, which made it easier for me to recall different lesson plans and specific occurrences during student teaching that I could draw on for my interviews.


My interviews went well on Tuesday, and I’m expecting calls for another interview from a few of the districts/schools that I spoke with. I’m incredibly excited about the prospect of having another interview with these districts/schools.

No comments :

Post a Comment