Pages

Friday, March 13, 2015

Middle School Sure Has Changed

This past Monday, I began my middle school field placement. I am placed in a 7th and 8th grade classroom in a more rural district, which is a contrast from my high school field placement last semester, as well as where I went to school.

My coordinating teacher teaches an array of language arts classes, ranging from the basic language arts class, to advanced, and then she also teaches a college and career readiness class which is for students who will be first generation college students.

Monday was my first day in field, so I spent the day learning about how my coordinating teacher runs her classroom, and I also had the chance to get to know some of the students.

Being the youngest in my family, I have been removed from the middle school grades/ages for quite some time. I was really surprised to see how much things have changed in the seven or eight years since I was in 7th and 8th grade.

When I was in 7th and 8th grade, cell phones had just started to become slightly more commonplace among my peers, but it was still normal for students like me to not have a cell phone. As students trickled into the classroom, I noticed that a lot of them pulled out their phones, which I was somewhat surprised by, especially since students are not allowed to use them in class.

For the college and career readiness class, each student has been provided with a laptop so they can complete their homework, which also surprised me. I think this is a really interesting program they have implemented, so when I go into the school again on Monday, I am hoping to learn even more about it.

Picture of me in 7th grade outside of the middle school
I attended..
Other than the technological differences that really stood out to me from when I was in middle school, I noticed that for the most part, middle schoolers are generally the same.

While I did not take part in the Accelerated Reader (AR) program during middle school, we were still expected to have a book to read for sustained silent reading (SSR). SSR bears some resemblance to the AR program, except AR has a set list of books for students to pick from and students are expected to take quizzes based on those books.

As I continue to complete my 30 hours of middle school field experience this semester, I look forward to having the opportunity to teach as well as learn more about the differences between 7th and 8th grade and high school from a teacher perspective. 

No comments :

Post a Comment