Pages

Friday, February 19, 2016

Home Away from Home

Over the past four years, McGuffey has become my second home in Oxford.

The walls of this building have seen me at my absolute worst, and at my very best. They’ve helped shape me into the teacher that I want to become. They’ve watched me grow from a freshman who was unsure about her major, into a senior who survived her student teaching experience and is ready for the next step.

McGuffey has seen me laugh and cry, tears of both happiness and sadness.

This picture of my friend Jordan
and I was taken in May 2015
outside of McGuffey. I met Jordan
in my EDL 318 class (which was
in McGuffey), and we've been
friends ever since.
I’ve made friends in McGuffey, I’ve worked on group projects, I’ve gotten into heated debates, and I’ve questioned everything. McGuffey has pushed me to grow.

In this building, I’ve succeeded and I’ve failed. I’ve gotten into disagreements (with both professors and classmates) and I’ve worked with those professors and those classmates to resolve the issue(s) at hand.

I’ve learned more about becoming a teacher, and thereby, I’ve learned a lot about myself.

I’ve watched my friends succeed in this building, and I’ve watched friends fall, but I always saw them get back up and move forward.

Becoming an education major is not for the fainthearted. We’re some of the hardest working students I know, and we push ourselves every day to be the best we can.

We care for those around us, and we want to watch each other succeed. McGuffey welcomes us with open arms, and makes us feel at home.

My cohort met in this building, and we grew to become a close-knit group of friends.

This is my first semester at Miami (excluding last semester when I student taught) that I do not have a class in McGuffey. It didn’t hit me until this morning when I sat down to write this that I miss my morning walk to McGuffey (with coffee in hand, of course).

I miss the familiarity of the building that has pushed me to become the best me over the past four years. 

No comments :

Post a Comment