Pages

Friday, October 10, 2014

Team Work Makes the Dream Work

This semester, I’m in what is called cohort. What this means is that I am in a block of four classes that I take with other education majors.

The cohort that I am a part of is the AYA (Adolescent Young Adult) English cohort, and in some of our more general cohort classes, the AYA Math cohort joins us.

Photo of students in my cohort that was taken by Maureen
Duncan in one of our classes.
As a cohort, we spend a minimum of approximately 12 or 13 hours a week together, and that’s in classes alone. This excludes all the time we spend together outside of class working on homework, projects, attending meetings for student groups, or just socializing.

Because of how much time we spend together, it’s no wonder that I’ve gotten to know so many incredible individuals. Despite all of this, what has surprised me the most about my cohort experience is how close we’ve grown.

Even though we've only been in cohort for a relatively short time, I already feel as though we’ve formed a sort of family. We’ve all gone through our field experiences together, we’ve offered each other support, academically and emotionally, and as a result, we’ve grown really close.

I didn’t imagine that cohort would be quite like this, but I’m really happy with the experience so far. It’s nice to have a network of people who are experiencing the same things, especially in terms of teaching high school students for the first time.

Another thing that surprised me is how many people I had not yet encountered in my cohort. I’ve had classes in the past with a small portion of people frommy cohort, but until this semester, I had not met a lot of the students who I’ve now grown close with.

Having this network has provided a growing experience for all of us, and I can’t stress how fortunate I feel to have this unique safety net to fall into. I’m amazed at the dedication of the individuals in my cohort, and I have no doubt that as we all move forward with our careers, we will all find success. 

No comments :

Post a Comment